I found some time to play today and thought I would have a go at the Compendium of Curiosities 3 current challenge – Faded Layers. I won't describe the technique as you need to have Tim's latest book to see it, but I will admit that I really struggled with this one. I had fun trying and am quite pleased with my finished piece, but it is very difficult to see my faded layers.
My first attempt used blue, green and dark pink alcohol inks - whether it's the colours I chose or my technique, but I couldn't get the layers to show up very well. The following photo is the sand dollar from the Sand and Sea set - I didn't use it in my piece, but if you look very closely you can just about see the faded layers!
I used the Seahorse from the die set , coating it with a thin layer of crackle paint, which again, didn't go too well, but I was kind of pleased with the texture I managed to achieve.
Not to be beaten by the Faded Layers technique, I had another go but leaving out the pink colour. I also used another stencil (Leaves by That Special Touch). The effect was better than my first attempt, but still not perfect! I used this layered piece for my watery background - close ups just about show the Faded Layers!
Some more stencilling, a bit of painty spraying, some builders mesh painted with DI and lots of stamping using Paper Artsy's Ellen Vargo stamps (and Fern Green Archival) gave me the background I wanted.
I hand cut some “kelp fronds” from a gelli-plate scrappy leftover and attached the seahorse tail around one of the fronds – I understand this is how they anchor themselves in the wild.
I stamped the gorgeous turtle from Crafty Individuals “A Bright Future” on to a leftover piece of marbled distress stain, colouring the shell using watered down Inky Pool paint. Once dry I sprayed it with Perfect Pearls Biscotti, to give it a bit of a shimmer, and cut out the final image.
The words were computer generated, cut out and coloured with distress inks (Peacock Feathers, Squeezed Lemonade and Shabby Shutters) and edged with Walnut Stain.
Once everything was stuck down, I went round the images with a fine white marker to make them stand out against the blue background. I also added a few hand drawn bubbles with the same white pen. Finally, I added a few rocks on the sea floor, using Walnut Stain DI and the end of a wine bottle cork as a stamp!
Faded Layers wasn't the best technique for me, but I'm happy with the effect and how the final piece turned out. I've just started my very first Art Journal and have added this as my first piece!
I'd also like to enter this into the August Challenge over at Country View Crafts – the theme this month is Word Play!
Thanks very much for hopping over and hope you enjoyed your visit!